Discover Dental Implants
The gold standard in tooth replacement…
At Half Moon OMS!
The loss of teeth can cause great distress. And the prospect of removable dentures to
replace them is equally traumatic for patients. At Half Moon Oral, Facial and Implant
Surgery, Dr. Thomas Sarna and his team are pleased to offer the most advanced technology
and treatment in dental implant surgery procedures to ensure a strong foundation for long-
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are surgically placed, artificial “roots” designed to provide a stable
foundation for your permanent replacement teeth that look, feel, and function like natural
teeth. Patients with dental implants can eat, brush, and smile with total confidence.
Traditional dental implants are comprised of a titanium root that is anchored to the jaw
bone, and a crown – the visible part of the tooth that’s used to chew food. The root holds
the crown securely under the gum.
When performed at Half Moon OMS by Dr. Sarna, the implant procedure will provide a
proper fit, cause no bone damage, and preserve facial contours. Additional advantages of
dental implant surgery include:
- Preserves the areas of jawbone that deteriorate when teeth are lost.
- Prevents facial structure collapse caused by bone degeneration.
- Protects adjacent teeth by keeping gums and bones intact.
- Lasts 40 plus years, compared to tooth-supported bridges lasting 10 years or less.
- As the most successful long-term solution, it’s also the most cost-effective replacement option.
The Dental Implant Procedure
The traditional dental implant procedure will typically be accomplished in two phases and it
may take up to seven months for the entire process to be complete – depending on your rate
of healing. The steps in the first phase of the procedure are as follows:
- Your mouth will be thoroughly numbed with local anesthesia.
- Once you’re numb, an incision is made in your gum where the implant will go.
- The implant will be screwed into place.
- Your gums will be closed over the implant and you may have one or two stitches placed.
Over the course of the following months, the implant will securely attach itself to the jaw
The second phase of the dental implant procedure will take place approximately three
months later and includes a visit to our office to complete the process. The second phase
- Dr. Sarna will check the torque on the implant.
- Once the torque is found to be adequate, you will visit your dentist, a small extension will be placed on the implant. This is where the crown will be placed.
- Your new crown will be made by your dentist and be placed it onto the implant.
The entire process can take several months from start to finish. Much of that time is
devoted to healing and waiting for the growth of new bone in your jaw.
Dental implants will be cared for just like you care for your regular teeth. You’ll brush and
floss and schedule regular dental examinations and check-ups at Half Moon OMS.
Immediate Dental Implants
An immediate dental implant is a dental implant that is placed in the jawbone immediately
after a dental tooth extraction. It’s usually placed during the same visit as the dental
extraction, but it can be done within two weeks after the tooth extraction and still be
considered an immediate dental implant.
The Benefits of Immediate Dental Implants
- Reduced treatment time. Traditional implants often take between three and six months to completely restore. With an Immediate Dental Implant, the implant, abutment (extension post) and temporary crown are placed during the same procedure, greatly reducing overall treatment time.
- Gum tissue matches up better with the crown. Traditionally, cylindrical healing caps may be placed on top of the newly inserted dental implants to shape the gum tissue. With immediate implants, the gum tissue can be shaped by the temporary crown (which is more similar in shape to the permanent crown), so the gum tissue matches the permanent crown and better aesthetic results are achieved.
- Avoid temporary dentures or the “missing teeth” look. Immediate dental implants reduce the psychological and physical impact of losing teeth by quickly replacing them, so there is no need to wear a removable prosthesis such as a denture or have gaps in your smile during the healing period. There are also no stitches and less pain!
All-on- 4 Implants: A complete arch bridge
The All-on- 4 procedure is a dental implant solution that allows a fixed denture to be placed
using only four dental implants per jaw. The method in which the implants are placed
eliminates the standard healing time that applies to other types of dental implants. The All-
on-4 surgery, when performed in our office, can be conducted in just one appointment!
Benefits of All-on-4 implants
- Very short recovery time. The teeth are permanent and fixed so there is no need for patients to be without teeth or to endure temporary dentures for an extended time period. The patient is able to come for a morning appointment and leave that same afternoon with a brand new smile!
- Rarely requires bone grafting.
- Easy maintenance and cleaning.
- Reduces further bone loss.
- Your implant-supported bridge will feel more secure and comfortable than a removable partial denture, which rests on the gums. You should be able to chew normal food comfortably, and the implant should look like the natural teeth it’s replacing.
The All-on-4 Implant Procedure
For us to properly evaluate your case at Half Moon OMS, we will initially require a
consultation and diagnostic appointment in order to best determine the treatment path
necessary for your personal needs. This includes determining whether or not you will require
extractions, gathering the appropriate information via X-rays, Panoramic scans and
impressions, and any other photos that are required.
After the consultation, you’ll be scheduled for implant surgery in which the new replacement
teeth are fitted and adjusted all in one appointment, including any necessary extractions.
During the procedure:
- Four titanium implants are placed in the jaw in such a way that the bone will envelop and secure them into place.
- The implants that are placed in the back part of the jaw are angulated to achieve maximum advantage to the existing bone structure.
- Once the implants are secure, the abutments will be attached so that the replacement teeth can be fastened and adjusted for maximum comfort and function.
Again, among the prime benefits of All-on-4 Implants is the sheer convenience. Special
implants were developed for this treatment, allowing for the immediate fitting of
replacement teeth to the abutments. This means that patients can leave our office at Half
Moon OMS with a full set of new replacement teeth within only one appointment!
Snap-on Locator Retained Overdenture Implants
For denture wearers seeking improved stability and function while eating and speaking,
converting to a locator retained overdenture implant is an excellent treatment option.
This removable prosthesis involves the addition of button-like fittings called locators, which
snap onto specialized locator abutments secured to dental implants placed into the
supporting bone structure.
Converting to this type of prosthesis is a convenient and cost effective way to obtain the
stability provided by dental implants – combined with the convenience of a removable
denture. However, it typically does require multiple appointments for Dr. Sarna to place the
dental implants and complete the conversion of your existing denture.
The benefits of the prosthesis:
- You’ll enjoy security, stability and increased bite force. You’ll be able to eat harder food options.
- There’s no slippage of the denture.
- It’s a cost effective way of obtaining dental implants for a full arch solution.
If you’re a denture wearer and would like additional information on how Snap-on
Overdenture Implants can benefit you, schedule a complimentary appointment at Half Moon
Single Tooth Replacement
If you’re missing a single tooth, one implant and a crown can replace it. A dental implant
replaces both the lost natural tooth and its root.
Benefits of a single tooth implant versus a bridge
- Effective. In addition to looking and functioning like a natural tooth, a dental implant replaces a single tooth without sacrificing the health of neighboring teeth.
- A simpler solution. The other common treatment for the loss of a single tooth, a tooth-supported fixed bridge, requires that adjacent teeth be ground down to support the cemented bridge.
- Preserves the bone. Because a dental implant will replace your tooth root, the bone is better preserved. With a bridge, some of the bone that previously surrounded the tooth begins to resorb (deteriorate). Dental implants integrate with your jawbone, helping to keep the bone healthy and intact.
- A better long term solution. In the long term, a single implant can be more esthetic and easier to keep clean than a bridge. Gums can recede around a bridge, leaving a visible defect when the metal base or collar of the bridge becomes exposed. Resorbed bone beneath the bridge can lead to an unattractive smile. And, the cement holding the bridge in place can wash out, allowing bacteria to decay the teeth that anchor the bridge.
To learn more about the single tooth replacement advantages and procedure, schedule a
complimentary consultation with Dr. Sarna at Half Moon OMS today.
He’s always available to help determine the best treatment plan for you!
Cost of dental implants -- and affordable financial options at Half Moon OMS!
The cost of dental implants depends on several factors, including how many implants you
need. Also, when bone grafting or ridge preservation are necessary, this may increase the
cost of the surgical procedure. However, the benefits of implants are invaluable, as they
can prevent bone loss and the shifting of existing teeth, which can lead to expensive dental
issues down the road.
Our current cost for placement of a dental implant at Half Moon OMS is $1700, but the
best way to get a more precise figure is to schedule a brief consultation so Dr. Sarna can
evaluate your specific needs and requirements.
At Half Moon OMS, we’ll be happy to work with you and your insurance company to make
sure you receive maximum benefits. In addition, we’re pleased to accept all major credit
cards along with CareCredit -- a healthcare credit card specifically designed for your health
and wellness needs. CareCredit is a great way to pay for the costs of many treatments and
procedures through convenient and affordable monthly payments.
We are also pleased to offer the services of our own on-site Financial Coordinator, who is
dedicated to working closely with you to assist with financial arrangements to fit your needs
You can rest assured that at Half Moon OMS we’ll make every effort to see you get the
treatment you need and deserve in order to restore a strong foundation and gorgeous smile
for years to come! Schedule your complimentary consultation at Half Moon OMS today!